How many nursing bras will I need?
This is really a personal preference and will also depend on your lifestyle, whether you are at home, working or need to dress up. A few things to keep in mind when deciding how many you need and what sort would suit you best:
- Whatever combination of bras (standard, seamless, camisoles etc) you go with you will probably want to start with at least 3 items in total. This gives you one to wear, one in the wash and one in the drawer.
- Most women like to have something to sleep in, at least in the beginning. This is for comfort as well as holding breast pads in place. Seamless nursing bras, sleep bras or nursing camisoles are popular choices for this.
- In the beginning you may be washing them more often. They can get quite a bit of milk on them and a lot of women also experience night sweats in the weeks after giving birth as their hormones adjust.
- If you are mostly planning on being at home or in relaxed surroundings you may prefer to have mostly bras and camisoles that are comfy rather than worry too much about how they look. You could just have one or two nicer bras for going out.
- When you aren’t sure what type of bra nursing bra will suit your needs it’s a good idea to buy a few different options. When you find something you like you can buy more of them. If you want one the same as what you already have you can always send someone else out to the shop to get it for you if you are too busy with your new baby.
Buying bras online
Getting the right fit with a bra can be difficult, so the best way to know if a bra will fit is to try it on before buying it. But if there aren’t many maternity options available in your area or going out to a store is too difficult with a baby then buying online might be a better option for you. Just make sure the online store has a good returns policy for if it doesn’t fit or the style doesn’t work for your shape. If you buy a bra in store and find you like it buying the same one online can be a great way to avoid having to go to the shops again.